Sunday, June 10, 2007

HEC - Day 10

I missed a few days of the HEC... Life, and all that, you know. But I'm back!

June
10--DAY 10
We all crave appreciation. We want to know that we are valued and loved. Early love letters probably reflected our admiration, but if we're not careful, our spouse will forget why we were drawn to him. If you still have any of your old love letters, re-read them for clues to deepen your current level of appreciation for your spouse. When we spend time criticizing our husbands, we lose time that could be spent admiring them. As you consider various ways to encourage your husband, ask, "How can I admire him?"

Does your husband know that you think he is attractive? What was one of the characteristics in your husband that first drew you to him? Was it a physical characteristic, or something else?

Was it his gentle, compassionate eyes? Kindness or concern for others? An easy-going confidence? A steadiness that comes from trusting in the Lord? Strength of character in a culture that lacks integrity? Do you see at least a glimpse of that characteristic in him today? Whatever it is, tell him!

When Jonathan and I first met, we became really close friends for about a year. I was drawn to his compassionate nature, his willingness to listen to me, and his concern for others. I didn't know that I could love a friend like I loved him. It took longer for me to notice his curly brown hair, and his gorgeous brown eyes. I think it was a blessing that we lived far apart--although it made it hard to "hang out," we became close without the possibility of a relationship ruining our friendship, and I became close to him before I felt something more. I grew to love his heart and his mind--not his looks or his touch.

Now, I still appreciate those characteristics in him, but I see more. I love his passion (for everything from sports to school to me). I love his tenderness and the way he makes a fool of himself--just to make me laugh.

I'm thankful for my husband, and I'm as attracted to him as I have ever been.

1 comment:

In Light of the Truth... said...

What sweet words about your husband! I'm glad you're back!